Badhakonasana, or the butterfly pose, is a popular yoga posture that stretches the inner thighs and groin. This posture is said to be beneficial for pregnant women as it opens up the hips and eases constipation, which is common complaints during pregnancy. Additionally, badhakonasana is said to promote circulation in the pelvic region and relieve tension in the lower back.
What is Baddhakonasana?
Baddhakonasana is divided into three places, ‘Baddha – meaning closed or stuck’, is a Sanskrit word. Who is the angle or degree angle in algebra, and the seat is the sitting position.
This asana is also called a butterfly pose as both the legs are held up at a certain angle with both hands holding the feet near the thighs while doing this asana.
It is also called cobbler pose in English as the position of the body while doing this asana is like a chambhar sewing slippers or shoes.
The method of doing baddhakonasana
- First, roll up the yoga mat and sit up straight with your legs spread out on the front.
- Bend the legs at the knees and try to bring the feet inwards towards the abdomen as much as possible.
- The soles of the feet are inclined towards the front. (As shown in the figure)
- Make sure that the soles of both feet touch each other. When the palms are pulled towards the abdomen, the knees are bent, and try to bring them down towards the ground or, if possible, try to support the ground.
- Keep the soles of the feet touching each other and try to bring them close to the abdomen while trying to bring the feet towards the ground by gently straining the knees and thighs. This will be easily possible with regular practice.
- While sitting in this position, the spine should be stiff so that the force of the body is felt on the buttocks. Stiffness strengthens the hip bones.
- Now move your legs up and down like a butterfly flutters its wings, start slowly, and then increase the speed.
Breathing should be normal.
- Pay attention to whether there is tension in the thighs and thighs. Don’t stress too much.
- While in this position, wait 1-5 minutes or as long as possible. If you practice regularly, it will work even if you do it for a long time.
- Then take a deep breath and straighten your legs to the front and return to normal.
Although easy to do butterfly pose, it has many benefits. Let us know the benefits of Baddhakonasana as follows
Benefits of Baddhakonasana
♦ Stress on the inside of thighs, thighs, and legs makes them flexible and helps to reduce the fat in the area.
♦ Stiffness of the spine causes tension in the spine, which makes the spine flexible and strong.
♦ Helps to get rid of sciatica.
♦ Regular exercise helps to reduce menstrual cramps and then helps to get rid of menopausal symptoms.
♦ Mental and physical stress – helps to relieve stress and keep the mind calm.
♦ Doing this asana in the last few days of pregnancy increases the ability to bear labor pains and helps in a smooth delivery.
Care to be taken while doing Baddhakonasana
- If you have a sciatica problem, do this asana with the help of a mattress or pillow.
- If there is any injury to the knee, do not do this asana or do it on the advice of the coach.
- Apply as much tension as possible while lowering the legs as if the wings of a butterfly are flying.
If you are looking for a way to increase your fitness, you may want to consider a butterfly pose. Properly covered, it will withstand a lot of adverse conditions. The next time you are in class, look at this seat and ask your instructor if you can try.
Before practicing any asana, it is necessary to know its proper method, otherwise you will not get the full benefit of the asana.
Same in Marathi