Uttanasana is a standing forward bend pose that is often performed as part of a sun salutation sequence. The pose is said to calm the mind and nervous system and can be beneficial for relieving stress and fatigue. Uttanasana can also help to improve balance and flexibility.
Indian sages have prescribed certain yoga poses and pranayama in Yoga Shastra to keep the whole body healthy. Yoga Shastra has mentioned the benefits of not only yoga but also pranayama for the body.
That’s why in this article I will tell you what is Uttanasana? , is going to tell information about the benefits of Uttanasana and the precautions to be taken while doing Uttanasana.
Uttanasana is a hatha yoga style asana that is moderately difficult to perform.
Table of Contents
What is Uttanasana?
Uttanasana means standing and bending forward. The word Uttanasana is derived from the Sanskrit words “ut”, meaning “intense” and tan, meaning “to stretch”. As its name suggests, Uttanasana is an intense stretch for the hamstrings, hips, and lower back.
During Uttanasana it affects your entire body, from head to toe. When practicing Uttanasana, the head is below the heart, so blood and oxygen supply to the brain is increased. All these movements are going on in our bodies without our realizing it, so it is a big job for our bodies.
Importantly, it is very important to prepare the body before starting yoga so it is important to warm up before Uttanasana.
So let’s know how to do Uttanasana. It is as follows
How to do Uttanasana?
Uttanasana, the standing forward bend, is a simple yet effective posture that almost anyone can do. Here’s how to do it:
- First, stand still in the Tadasana yoga posture on the yoga mat and place hands on hips.
- Take deep breaths and balance your body.
- Bend the waist and bend down towards the front.
- Move the hips and tailbone slightly back.
- Let the legs be parallel to each other. Slowly lift the hips upwards and let the upper thighs stretch.
- Now bend down and grab the ankles from behind with your hands.
- While in this position you will feel your chest touching the upper limbs.
- Press the inner thighs and try to keep the body still by pressing on the heels.
- Lower your head and look backward through both legs.
- Stay in this asana position for 15-30 seconds.
- When you want to come out of this position, slightly contract the abdomen and lower body and come to the east position. (This action should be slow)
Although Uttanasana may seem difficult at first, it is easily doable with regular practice.
Uttanasana has many benefits such as the following
Benefits of Uttanasana
♦ One of the many benefits of Uttanasana is that it helps to lengthen and stretch the spine.
♦ Uttanasana can help reduce back pain and improve posture.
♦ Uttanasana yoga stretches the hamstrings and muscles, which helps prevent injuries.
♦ Uttanasana also has a calming effect on the nervous system, thus helping to reduce stress and anxiety.
♦ This asana can also help improve digestion and relieve menstrual cramps.
♦ This asana stretches the hamstrings and calf muscles.
♦ Uttanasana yoga can help prevent injuries and improve balance.
♦ Uttanasana is good for the digestive system and is believed to help relieve constipation, indigestion, diarrhea, and menstrual cramps.
What to remember while doing Uttasana?
Some things to keep in mind while doing Uttanasana are mentioned below
- Make sure to keep the spine straight.
- Keep knees bent and feet hip-width apart.
- Press the hips down and forward. Finally, breathe deeply and evenly throughout the pose.
- If you have a lower back injury, sciatica, glaucoma or cataracts, avoid the asana.
- In the beginning, do the asana with the advice of a trainer or if you have balance, you can do it yourself.
- But, consult a doctor before doing Asana.
By following these instructions, you will ensure that you get the most out of your Uttanasana practice. Before you begin, find a comfortable place to sit. You can either sit comfortably on the floor. If sitting on the floor, choose a place with clean and fresh air
Before practicing any asana it is necessary to know its correct method otherwise you will not get the full benefit of the asana.
Finally, Uttanasana is a great way to release tension in the body and mind. This is a simple pose that anyone can do, regardless of their yoga experience. This pose can be done as part of a yoga practice or as a standalone pose.
To know more about this in Marathi visit theyogabhyas.com