There are many yoga poses that are effective in building strength, balance, and flexibility. One such pose is the Purvottanasana or the Extended Side Angle pose. This pose helps to improve the function of the liver and kidneys, increases the strength of the arms and shoulders, and stretches the hamstrings, hips, and groin.
Table of Contents
What is Purvottanasana?
East means “east direction” or “upper part of the body” and Uttan means “stretched part”. Purvottanasana is called the upper plank pose in English. This seat is very easy to make and has many advantages.
In today’s stressful life, physical health is being neglected. This can lead to physical, respiratory, and mental problems.
If you do this asana regularly, you will see many benefits. Let us know the proper method and benefits of Purvottanasana.
The correct method of doing Purvottanasana
- When doing Purvottanasana, first sit on the yoga mat with legs straight in front of you.
- The legs should be aligned and the back should be stiff.
- Then place the buttocks and shoulders parallel to the ground with the palms facing down. The fingers should be on the outside.
- Lean the body backward, lift the body upwards, slowly giving weight to the hands.
- Stiffen the knees and keep the feet and toes straight on the ground. Let the back of the head go to the side of the ground.
- Respiratory function should be continued regularly in this condition.
- While in this sitting position, wait 1-3 minutes or as long as possible at the beginning. (Do not stress too much)
- Then slowly lower the legs and body parts and bring them back to normal.
- Change the direction of the seat by changing the direction of the fingers.
Benefits of Purvottanasana
♦ Regular Purvottanasana solves many respiratory problems and improves the respiratory system.
♦ Strengthens the spine, back, wrists, arms, and shoulders.
♦ Stress on the abdominal organs increases their efficiency and helps in improving the digestive system.
♦ Exercises the legs and buttocks.
♦ Purvottanasana stimulates the thyroid gland.
Precautions to be taken while doing Purvottanasana
When doing Purvottanasana, do not push more than your physical capacity, apply as much stress as possible.
If there is any injury to the body, do not do Purvottanasana or do it only after consulting a trainer.
If you are looking for a way to increase your fitness, you can consider doing Purvottanasana. Properly covered, it will withstand a lot of adverse conditions. The next time you are in class, look at this seat and ask your instructor if you can try.
Before practicing any asana, it is necessary to know its proper method, otherwise you will not get the full benefit of the asana.
Same info In Marathi